Cats are known for their independence and stoic faces, both things which make it hard to tell if you’re really bonding with your furry feline friend. Are they doing that thing your ex did where they act all distant but really, deep down, they love you? Or do they secretly talk smack about you to the dog when you aren’t looking?
While they remain mysterious for the most part, these gestures of affection are a sure sign that your kitty is totally smitten.
1. Sometimes they think you knead a massage.
They just want to return the favor for all those cuddles you provide.
2. A gift is a gift, no matter how gross we think it is.
They’re trying to show off their hunting prowess and make you proud.
3. Head butts are, like, totally their way of saying, “I love you, man.”
It’s like a fist bump, but so much cuter, dude.
4. They aren’t staring at you to freak you out.
In fact, it’s the opposite. To them, the prolonged eye contact is like a smooch.
5. Showing off his belly is a huge sign of trust.
Since animals prefer to keep their vulnerable sides hidden, seeing your kitty lying around with his tum exposed is a sure sign he feels comfortable and at home.
6. Their tails can tell a lot of tales.
When it fluffs up at the base and curls at the end, you’ve definitely got one happy little guy on your hands.
7. They don’t mean to hurt you with their bites.
It’s a love bite! They’re used to the thicker skin of their fellow felines, though, so sometimes they’re a bit too aggressive with their affection.
8. They aren’t trying to trip you all the time so you break your legs and have to stay home.
Not that they’d mind that, of course, but they’re really just nuzzling up to you to mark you with their scent.
9. The power of the purr is real.
The volume and tone of your cat’s purr can indicate just how content they are with your snuggles.
10. If she’s always up in your business, it’s because she loves you.
You might find it kind of annoying when you’re just trying to get things done, but they simply can’t stand the idea of being so far from you! How cute is that?
Sure, some of their tokens of affection may seem strange or disgusting, but underneath that? It’s all about the love. And tuna. They might just want you to buy more tuna.